Saturday, February 26, 2011
Happy Saturday! Hopefully you're having more of an actual weekend than I am! An Art History midterm has eaten my whole weekend/week and left nothing but crumbs behind. Sad day.

But anyway, on to the topic of the moment: Painting class!
In my painting class, the project we're currently working on is a still life, which we have to paint in the style of a famous modern painter. My professor gave us a list of probably about fifty to one hundred names to look at and research for this project, and the name I chose was Janet Fish. 

The point of the project is less about painting the actual still life that we have set up than about mimicking the style of the painter we chose. So we have to get familiar with their works. Thus, I thought I'd share some of Fish's work with you all. She really has an interesting style. She primarily does pieces that play with the way light plays over and through glass/translucent objects. They're very interesting pieces. Her representation is very realistic, but at the same time it feels kind of fanciful. There is rarely a clear focal point in her paintings, and usually no real horizon line, so the plane is filled with vivid, intricate patterns of color and line.

Here are a few of her pieces that I particularly liked:






Pretty cool stuff, no? I love her use of color and light. I've always been fascinated by painting/drawing reflective or translucent objects. I think it's a really fun (though honestly, sometimes frustrating) challenge. The biggest difficulty I'm having with the still life in class is that, as much as I'd like to have made a set up of primarily colored glass and such so I could more easily mimic Fish's style, most of the objects we're painting are opaque, solid colored objects. So i'm just going to try to imitate her use of color and light to the best of my ability, disregarding the lack of glass in my piece. If it turns out half-way decent, I'll post it here when it's finished. 

Happy weekending!





0 comments:

Welcome!

About Me

My Photo
Rebecca Aragon
Hi! I'm a college student from Texas, getting an undergrad in painting. I'm enjoying life and discovering who I am in my art as I go along. I'm a painter and a graphic artist and I dabble in all sorts of other mediums as well.
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.

Find Me!

To see more of my work in various mediums, visit my DeviantArt page and my website. I try to keep them updated with most of my work.
DeviantArt Profile

Followers