Wednesday, April 20, 2011
I'm taking a short break from work on a painting for class (due tomorrow! Yikes!), and I thought I'd come share a few things that I've been learning and working on lately. Namely, painting with encaustic.

Our last project in painting was to paint a small panel with encaustic. For those of you not familiar with the term, encaustic is basically painting with hot wax. It's mostly beeswax and pigment, and can give some really vibrant, beautiful colors. It's a very different medium, though, from anything else I've worked with, and it was really fun to experiment with it.
When painting with encaustic, you have to keep all the paints in liquid form by keeping them hot, so all the pots of color are kept on hot plates or griddles, and when you paint with it, it sets up very rapidly, since as soon as it begins to cool, it hardens and becomes more opaque. That being the case, you have to work pretty fast. What is fun about it, too, is how easily it takes to things like collage, transfer, and building up texture or layerss. You can incise lines into thick layers of wax and fill them with color, you can scrape away layers to reveal what's underneath, or you can attach globs of warm wax to build up semi-sculptural aspects on a piece.

The pieces we did were small, and mostly, I believe, just for the experience of working with the new medium, but it was really fun to play around with. People who know what they're doing with the medium can really do some cool things with it, too. It's also interesting to note that encaustic is incredibly archival and will last for incredible lengths of time as long as it is not exposed to enough heat to melt the wax. We know it has been in use since the time of the Ancient Egyptians, who used it to create mummy portraits. Cool!
I didn't get far enough with my encaustic practicing to figure out how to deal with representational imagery with it, though I think it would be fun to try it. However, I found the website of Kevin Frank earlier today and was amazed at what he is able to do with this fun (but tricky) medium. Take a look at a few of his paintings!



Pretty amazing, no? I was very impressed, especially after having worked with encaustic a little myself. 

Anyway, I enjoyed the exercise and have a new respect for artists of Ancient Egypt -- and all other time periods that came before electric griddles and heat guns -- who managed to paint what they did with this medium!


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pictures!

http://damncreativity.blogspot.com/

Welcome!

About Me

My Photo
Rebecca Aragon
Hi! I'm a college student from Texas, getting an undergrad in painting. I'm enjoying life and discovering who I am in my art as I go along. I'm a painter and a graphic artist and I dabble in all sorts of other mediums as well.
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.

Find Me!

To see more of my work in various mediums, visit my DeviantArt page and my website. I try to keep them updated with most of my work.
DeviantArt Profile

Followers